Today is National Avocado Day. If you’re like us at ZÜPA NOMA HQ, we’ll take any excuse to add more avos into our diet. We’re obsessed with this nutrient-dense superfood and its ability to give our soups a creamy, smooth delectable texture. Known to be loaded with fat (the healthy good kind!), avocados are also packed with Vitamins B and E, magnesium, potassium, and a slew of other nutrients.
In case you need another reason to dig in to that bowl of guac or slam a Cucumber Avocado or Kale Avocado with Collagen, we’ve put together some fun facts to share with your avo-obsessed squad. Read on and enjoy!
- An avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable — They are actually considered berries (while strawberries are not – who knew?!). We consider ourselves veggie lovers first and foremost here at ZÜPA NOMA, but you can bet we’ll keep making an exception for avocados!
- The potassium in an avocado is 2x that of a banana — An avocado has 975mg of potassium (20% of your daily need), while a banana has 422mg (9% of your daily need). Maybe you should swap that banana you eat after a run for an avocado?
- Avocados could be the secret to the fountain of youth — When directly applied to your skin via a homemade mask, avocados can be beneficial in helping you achieve that glowing complexion. You can thank the omega-3 fatty acids and other antioxidants (like Vitamin E) for this added benefit for your skin.
- Avocado toast is older than Instagram — In the early 1960s, The New York Times advised readers to slice and spread avocado on toast. Avocados have been a staple in the diets of Central and South Americans since at least 500 BC. Trip to Brazil anyone?
- Bored of avo toast? —There are loads of ways to add avocados to your diet without the bread — Make a vegan pesto by adding half an avocado to the food processor with some basil, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and walnuts. Or better yet, make a ZÜPA-infused pesto, like this one by @nikki_booch on IG! Another option is adding avocados to replace half the butter in your next batch of cupcakes, keeping the creamy texture and moisture while boosting nutrition content. So many options, so little time!
- Americans eat about 7 pounds of avocado per year — Plus, during the Super Bowl, Americans on average consume 240 million avocados… now that’s a lot of guacamole!
Keep fueling your love for this superfood, #SOUPSQUAD, and celebrate National Avocado Day with us every day!