We all know that apple cider vinegar (also known as ACV) is a powerhouse ingredient and wellness buzzword… but… what does it actually do?
Fear not, we’re here to answer some important questions about ACV!
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Organic, raw, unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar is a true superfood and digestive health hack! It has way more benefits, a lower calorie count and less sugar than its easily confused cousins, apple juice and apple cider juice. ACV is made from fresh, crushed, organic apples, which are then stored and matured in tanks, which aids the apples’ natural fermentation process. As this fermentation process takes place, amazing probiotic benefits start to build as well! Once mature, you’ll see a cloudy substance — the “Mother” — that’s made of healthy bacteria from the natural pectin and apple residues. The Mother shows the quality of the ACV, since it means that the apple and probiotics haven’t been destroyed by processing or heat, and is the most nutritious part of the ACV. It will typically settle to the bottom of the bottle (you may have noticed something lurking in the bottle of a kombucha bottle before too…) — so, give that ACV bottle or shot a shake before pouring!
What are the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar has been proven to improve acid reflux, kill harmful bacteria, and flush toxins to keep the digestive tract functioning properly. ACV also helps to promote weight loss (which is great for the upcoming summer months), lower cholesterol, and improve your skin health (since it can kill off strains of acne-causing bacteria)! What more could you ask for?
What are the common uses for Apple Cider Vinegar?
ACV has many powerful benefits, and there are numerous uses for this superfood — including soothing sunburns, boosting gut health, enhancing circulation, treating warts, warding off seasonal allergies, household cleaning, teeth whitening, and more! The list goes on and on… but the most important thing is getting it into your daily diet!
How should I consume Apple Cider Vinegar?
There are many ways to get your daily dose of ACV in — here are some of the most common:
- Take an ACV shot straight - The most common way to enjoy ACV is to pour a serving (1 oz.) of ACV into a glass and then just drink it!
- Dilute the vinegar - If the taste is too strong on its own, many people will pour a serving of ACV into a glass of water and then drink it. This method is advised to prevent side effects (such as throat burn and upset stomach). If new to ACV, we recommend you start with a tiny amount first, and work your way up to a full serving!
- The new and improved way - For the most tasty and quick ACV fix, give a ZÜPA NOMA Tomato Vinegar Habañero Veggie Shot a try! Filled with a full serving of veggies and a gram of fiber, and packed with ACV, it’s the perfect combination of vibrant veggie flavor and amazing health benefits. Our community loves this Veggie Shot — in fact, #SOUPSQUAD members like Mikey say it’s “the most amazing habit to get started with. I used to do plain Apple Cider Vinegar shots in the morning, but after some time, my stomach really did not agree with it. Not only does this have all of the same benefits of having Apple Cider Vinegar shots in the morning, but it also tastes way better…!”
What is the best time of day to consume it?
Everyone has a different routine, but here are the most common times of day to drink ACV:
- In the morning - We love waking up in the morning and drinking a ACV shot or a Tomato Vinegar Habañero Veggie Shot to kickstart our day! Drinking ACV in the am supports your immune system, boosts your digestion, and so much more!
- With meals - Not all stomachs are created equal, which means drinking ACV by itself can be unsettling for some. Try adding ACV to your mid-morning, or lunch routine — or, get an extra boost of ACV by adding an ACV shot to a bottle of ZÜPA for an extra superfood boost.
What if I’m not ready for ACV shots yet?
Many of our Superfood Soups have a splash of ACV built right in! If you’re new to ACV, drinking a bottle of Cucumber Avocado or Tomato Gazpacho can be a great way to ease into this superfood trend, while also getting four full servings of veggies!
Ready to feel like a rockstar? Give Apple Cider Vinegar a shot!